Subject: [Leica] OT Richard Feynman (was WWII V2 rockets)
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:15:01 +0100

S Dimitrov wrote:

"Give me a more detailed reference"

Feynman on the Challenger:
http://www.fotuva.org/feynman/challenger-appendix.html
More about Feynman: http://www.fotuva.org/feynman/index.html

I can't recommend Feynman's writings enough, he was one of the greatest
minds of the twentieth century, and a remarkable man.

My favourite Feynman tale: When he was teaching at Cornell, a first-year
student asked him a question at the end of one of his lectures (why spin
- -1/2 Bosons obey Fermi-Dirac statistics). Feynman began his explanation, and
realised he wasn't able to explain it simply.

Unlike many people, Feynman felt that if he couldn't explain it in simple
terms, it meant *he* didn't understand it properly. So he went away and
studied the subject, and as a direct consequence invented the  entire field
of quantum electrodynamics and earned himself the Nobel prize for physics.

A genuine genius, and a man who knew the meaning of humility.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT Richard Feynman (was WWII V2 rockets))
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] OT Richard Feynman (was WWII V2 rockets))
Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] OT Richard Feynman (was WWII V2 rockets))