Subject: Re: [Leica] WWII V2 rockets
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:24:04 -0700

Let's not forget Morton-Thiokol's O-ring. A basic O-ring formula granted
to them from W.W.II German industry as a war reparation. Allegedly, M-T
never did any further research on the formula, and used it as received,
to the Challenger's bitter end.
That would of been a tragic accident if it were not for a similar
failure with this German O-ring. That happened in 1965 at LaGuardia
Airport in NY, where a similar failure occurred under similar conditions
with an airliner.
- --As recounted by my father, who was the senior chemist at
Chemsil(spel?) contracted to study the O-ring failure in 1965.
Interestingly enough, no one wanted to address the earlier failure when
the Challenger was destroyed.

Slobodan Dimitrov