Subject: [Leica] LUG: R8 & its detractors
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:54:31 -0600

It appears that Mr. Grant believed I was undermining the R8, which it was
not my intent to do. What has been undermined is my own faith in Leica's
electronics: of the six Leica bodies which are or have been part of my
working wardrobe, two have had catastrophic electronic failure. One was a
previously owned R7 (purchased from KEH, who overnighted me an R6 as a
replacement: good PR), and my own M6ttl at the tender age of three months,
replaced by Leica under warranty (and the new one is much slower at
devouring batteries).

I have shot the R8, thanks to LUGnut Steve Casperson during his Santa Fe
visit, and I love the camera. When I was at Glazer's in Seattle in July
(whose service I find less than professional, just for the record), I
managed to fondle an R8/drive/strap, which I found a great improvement over
the naked R8. If and when I become solvent enough (after my adventures in
Visa/M6land), the R8 will certainly get a thorough evaluation, and is likely
to join the stable.

My only intent in discussing the 'softness' of R8 resale was to point out
the probable reasons, which, for myself, include a pretty reasonable
hesitation based, not on hearsay, but on my own experience with Leica's
electronics. It amazes me that, considering what the Japanese makers are
capable of doing with electronics and micro-motors, Leica appears to be just
now in the process of figuring out how these things work (here we're
remembering the delay in the release of the R8drive). I only wish they would
make a deal with Somebody, in which Leica would swap their gorgeous optics
for robust, reliable, and proven circuitry.

Christopher 'Bokeh' Quinn