Subject: Re: [Leica] Omega D 2 Enlarger & Polaroid MP 3
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:22:12 -0700

Akhil Lal wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> The University is about to throw out an old Omega D 2. Condenser Head.
> Well used, but 100 % functional.
>
> Is it worth saving for a home darkroom ? Are spare parts and instructions
> still available ?

The Omega D2 is widely considered to be the workhorse standard of the industry
in the darkroom.
Over the past 30 years a starting out photographer would be recommended to have
one. A basic tool, not really open for option, the Beseler a far second. The new
Beselers are made more like Omegas and are much better than before. They may
even be possible to align.
The Omega D2  is built like a tank without one bit of plastic and can be aligned
perfectly without any third party add ons.
The head is a wide open question as to whether you want the Condenser Head or not.
I've use it it on my D2 and various Aristo cold lights, now a VC coldlight.
I think it accepts more 3rd party heads than any other enlarger.
Even if you only go to medium format it is good to have an enlarger one format
larger than your largest format. And you never know. And if you ever get an Xpan
you can print those panoramics.
If you're able to get it cheap especially I'd go for it! Get neg carriers and
lens boards for it.

I'd checkout the Zig-Align people who can tell you how to align it and can sell
you a thing to help you do so which isn't cheap but i love mine and wouldn't go
into my darkroom without it.
http://www.zig-align.com/

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon