Subject: RE: [Leica] Reala in a Leica M6
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:15:54 -0500

On the topic of color neg films, I've been using Kodak Supra 400. Never
having been able to commit completely to one film, I've tried others. But I
keep coming back to Supra 400. Relatively inexpensive, great image
structure, and it scans exceptionally well. Recently I've printing some C
prints that turned out exceptionally well, so it's not just a "scanning"
film.

I like to use color and b/w neg film of same speed, for a variety of
reasons. I've considered just shooting color neg -- and turning it into b/w
in the digital darkroom when the mood strikes me -- but I have a
conventional darkroom and I sill like printing b/w negs.

My favorite b/w film is Delta 400. No problem with the old D400. But now I'm
in a conundrum. The new D400 and it appears to have an EI of around 600.
It's not bad when I go from Supra 400 to D400 and forget to reset the ASA
dial. But it's not so good when I go the other way and forget.

I wish I had the discipline to stay with one film. The reason I don't use
ASA 100 film in 35mm is because if I'm after maximum image quality I'll go
to a larger format. To me 35mm is a medium made for faster films. But I know
people who vehemently dissagree with that.

Dave