Subject: [Leica] Re: M6 correction lens - K&S
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:49:41 -0700

Well... the folks at Keeble & Shuchat are the best. I have had a commercial
account with them for 25 years, spent literally hundreds of thousands of
dollars - easily close to .5 mil - and have had the best and most honest
advice I have had anywhere else. And I have purchased plenty from mail
order, specifically Calumet and B&H. Calumet has it all over B&H for ease
and customer service. But K&S makes both look pale.

That said, there is one old Swiss guy at K&S that should be avoided at all
cost. Walt. Has a strong Swiss/German accent. Will tell you what you need
and what you should do even though he has no clue. He is like a fixture
around there and sells a ton of expensive P&S cameras. But don't do
business with him. He is fun to watch however.

For Leica stuff you should deal with Jeff Alford, THE K&S Leica expert,
genuine nice guy, and the host for Brian Reid's "thank you" fund. When you
go in for Leica, just ask for Jeff. But not on Friday, his day off. And ask
for the discount. They will always come close to B&H or Calumet. It's very
simple.

For professional products (across the street - MF & LF) see Tim Schell or
Ernie Visconti. They know their stuff and will always spend the time
discussing your needs and help you work out problems. For digital (same
location) see Don or James.

For darkroom products, see Kelic, Eddie, or Ernie. All great folks.

Like anywhere, there are great folks, mediocre folks, and downright crappy
folks. It cannot be avoided. So it is best to know who you are dealing with
from the get go.

But the best advice is, don't try to do business with an attitude. Attitude
tells a clerk that you are going to be a problem and he/she simply will
close all doors. You will not get the benefit of the doubt on anything.

Since you seem to have such a problem with K&S, I'll meet you there and
introduce you to the owner, Terry Shuchat, the general manager John
Clifton, their used camera guru Paul Wood (has had photo spreads in Leica
Fotografie) and all of the other fine staff that inhabit the place.

Just tell me when you want to meet.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] Re: Re: M6 correction lens - K&S)
Reply from Satish Kumar Krishnamurthy <satishk@tibco.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: M6 correction lens - K&S)