Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] ELEKTRONIX
From: Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:07:18 +0100

Hi,

[...]

> So the first time you came to the US did you see it as somehow like
> Frank's version?
> I would REALLY love to hear about this.

It depends whereabouts you go. My first visit to the US was to a small
town in North Carolina, and the town and surrounding countryside were
exactly as I'd predicted from Frank's book, but they were also exactly
what I'd expected from Frank Capra films, and from David Lynch movies.
Or perhaps I only saw the things that fit. My next trip was to Sta. Monica,
and that was a cliche all its very own.

Nobody can photograph or write the whole truth about anything, and
it's utterly foolish to expect the whole truth, but it's a long step
from partial truth to calling things a lie.

[...]

> btw:
> dystopic is not in my dictionary. I guess you mean opposite of utopic
> (utopian)?

'dystopia' ('dystopian') is a mistaken formation from 'utopia'. In fact
to More and his readers 'Utopia' originally meant 'nowhere', but has come
to mean an ideal place, possibly from confusion with the Greek 'eu'.

Most utopias turn out to be pretty awful places.

Recommended reading: 'The Faber Book of Utopias' edited by John Carey.
One man's heaven is another man's hell.

- ---

 Bob

mailto:bob@web-options.com

Il faut être toujours botté et prêt à partir.

One should always have one's boots on and be ready to leave.

- - Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592)