Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop edit darker than it looks
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:55:29 -0400

on 8/13/01 11:29 PM, Sonny Carter at sonc@sonc.com wrote:

> Sometimes when I want to examine a posted picture a little
> more closely, I copy the picture and open it in Photoshop.
> In most cases, it makes an enormous difference over either
> IE 5.5 or Netscape 6's rendition of the photograph.

the key here is the profile the program uses (if any)

on the Mac, IE can read a tagged file and map it into your monitor space
using ColorSync, if you have it set up that way.

Photoshop from several versions back has a default profile set up for
untagged files.

Even now, working in a well defined and profiled space like I do, you run
into problems when exporting to the web and the ubiquitous gamma 2.2 windoze
sRGB space. Until all OS's support profiles and we all tag our files with
them the problem will continue. But that day is coming pretty fast IMO.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205