Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop edit darker than it looks
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 05:04:30 +0200

In File | Preferences | RGB Setup, uncheck the "Display using monitor
compensation" box, and Photoshop will display images just like every other
application.

Photoshop's display (with monitor compensation) is actually more accurate than
that of any other application, but since you are preparing images for the Web,
it isn't much use, as the characteristics of the display devices used by
visitors to your site are likely to be all over the place, and Web browsers and
most Windows environments make no provision for proper compensation.

I ended up leaving monitor compensation on, because it means that my images are
stored with a more objectively correct calibration (in fact, you can store them
with your calibration standard included in the file information, so that other
systems with similar compensation can correctly display them--although no Web
browser does this, as far as I know).  It looks prettier in Photoshop, and it's
not going to make the images look any worse on the Web.

Note that if you are using a PC, your images will look too bright on Macs, and
brighter still on Unix boxes (because of different gamma standards on these
machines), so you can't win, at least not in the current environment of
uncompensated computer systems (except for a handful of machines that actually
do attempt to provide compensation, such as graphics-oriented Macs).