Subject: Re: [Leica] ELEKTRONIX
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:38:53 -0400

At 07:25 PM 8/12/01 +0100, you wrote:

>This is another interesting question that I was thinking about in relation
>to Salgado, namely, his "real world" impact. Do his photos still appear in
>magazines (i.e. in mass media publications) as they once did, or are they
>now published exclusively in books produced by his own company and
>exhibited in museums? If that is the case, it would seem that his influence
>would be exercised mostly on the museum going, photo book buying public (in
>other words, a relatively small portion of the population), and in that
>case, as perhaps with Frank, I don't know, he would seem to be preaching to
>the choir.
>

>Guy

But this is not Salgado's fault.  All of the great mass media publications
that featured documentary photography are gone.  Salgado's work does appear
in photography magazines and publication like "Mother Jones", but that is
again preaching to the choir.  The days of projects of documentary
photographers being sponsored by mass media publications are long
gone.  Today, photographers have to make their own markets.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> ([Leica] ELEKTRONIX)