Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado
From: Steve Rowell <steverowell@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT)

- --- "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Of course he does...But I would still opine that his
> style is almost the
> exact oppposite....
>
> But, hey, I started this thread not to prove
> anything, nor to get anyone
> to agree with me, but to prod the discussion back
> toward
> photography.....;-)...Oh, right, how to load an M6
> does have to do with
> photography....
>

> B. D.

Just wanted to put my .02 in before you leave this
thread.

So far, the photographers mentioned have been
recorders of the human condition. If your talking
about all-time great 35mm photog, should other genres
be included? I agree that Saldado is at the top of his
game, clearly passionate about his work and competent
to the extreme. But I don't think anyone surpasses
Gibson's ability to take an ordinary scene and
organize precisely the right components (dark, light,
texture, shape, etc) to make a photograph work on many
levels. And obviously there are many other genres that
could be included. When it comes right down to it, I
think Smith might get my vote for conveying the human
condition with gut wrenching passion. Salgado's still
working though. :) I think HCB is really of a
different style, maybe his own. When I think HCB, I
think photographer. When I think Salgado, I think
documentor (Smith too). People like Salgado are
compelled to get their message out to the public. I
don't think HCB fits that slot. Anyway, just a few
thoughts. Good topic, btw.

Steve Rowell
Denton,TX