Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] Salgado
From: Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:09:34 +0100

>ah man, John Berger hosted that special?  why are you all bashing him?
>if you havent read "Ways of Seeing" and "Another Way of Telling" you're
>missing out.  He may sound full of himself, but he's quite intelligent
>especially when it comes to our relationship to images.
>Greg

Greg,

There is an unwritten rule here on the LUG that no one other than
photographers have the right to write about photography, especially if the
writer in question has a college education, an obvious talent for writing,
and a thought-provoking take on photography and/or image making in general.
This is all the more true if they don't talk like a down-to-earth, good ol'
boy. You need only scan the archives for "Sontag" for an enlightening view
of the general opinion here of critical theory as related to photography.

I did not see the Salgado interview so cannot judge Berger's "performance"
there, which, by all accounts, sucked (but do agree that his "Ways of
Seeing" and "Another Way of Telling" are interesting reads). That said, the
fact that anyone, even an otherwise intelligent and interesting person, can
make unbelievably asinine comments in a public forum doesn't surprise me in
the least. A quick scan of the archives on any subject will give ample
proof of that as well.

Guy