Subject: [Leica] 100mm f2 focussing
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:35:33 EDT

I've recently purchased a long-coveted 100mm f2 Canon lens in Leica thread
mount.  I needed both speed and just a bit more reach than a 90mm
Summicron and the Canon seemed like the solution.  After shooting my first
roll (on a M6 classic w. adapter), I discovered that about half of the
pictures were out of focus.  Afterwards, I tried comparing the indicated
distance of the focus scale on the 100mm f2 with other lenses of similar
focal length and all focus scales seem to be more or less agreeing with
each other, so I don't think that there is a defect in the lens.  The shots
that did come out indicate that this is a great lens for portraiture, with
faces clearly standing out against the background.  But my technique with
the M6 (.72) seems to need work.  Does anyone have suggestions or tips to
accurate focssing in relatively low light levels when working with very
limited depth of field -- other than getting a M3 or M6 w. .85 viewfinder?
I'm now kicking myself for selling my M3.....

And, has anyone else had experience with the Canon 100mm f2 for rangefinder?
Comments?

Mark

Mark Langer

Email address: mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca