Subject: Re: [Leica] close up work
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 22:23:42 -0700

Pablo Kolodny wrote:

> on 7/8/01 12:12 AM, lea at lea@whinydogpress.com wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > My work is close up so time really isn't an issue...I use and really like the
> > Visoflex. I'm simply looking for a lens that will allow me a bit more space to
> > back off my subject. Several have suggested the 65mm lens and that is what I
> > will
> > keep my eyes out for.
> <snip>

> Lea, the easiest way to run macro for you would be to get a nice macro lens
> for the Canon system.
> On the other side I do think you'll love working and checking results
> obtained with a Viso system with an M6. No doubt, I thought you needed it
> for great series of photos and wanted to speed up the work on that.
> In the meantime, let me suggest you to go to an old Elmarit to use with the
> Viso...that way you'll be able to increase a little the distance between
> camera and object. Somebody already said it.
> The 65 is a very special lens, appreciated also as a collectable. This makes
> its prices goes up. An old Elmarit, you don't need to go for the latest
> since it will not unscrew from its barrel, is cheaper and will give the
> distance you're looking for.
>
> Change your mind ? Naaaaah, no way to do that...
> Be happy...
>
> Pablo

The 65 is quite expensive (collectable I suppose) but the old Elmarit (removable
lens head) is also expensive. If you can go with the smaller aperture the 135mm
f/4.5 Hector can do close ups and they sell for about $100. Other 135's will work
too, only the latest ones don't have removable lens heads.

Used to be a good LHSA on-line article on using the 135 Hector for close ups. (or I
can't find the link)

Dennis