Subject: RE: [Leica] Thoughts on R8s
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 20:29:48 +0100

I changed from an EOS1 to the R8 about a year ago and have never regretted
it. I use it with the motor drive which makes it a very well balanced camera
and no heavier than most pro equipment. I use a variety of lenses and find
the metering system virtually fool proof (and there are times when I have
been a fool) to the extent that I have set the wrong mode and the camera has
known better than me. At other times I have used manual and the camera has
been fine. It does take a little getting used to in some modes (e.g. shutter
priority) when it may override you if you have set too low a shutter speed
or vice versa for the lens/light combination).

Although the lenses do tend to look expensive they are no dearer generally
than the equivalent Canon 'L' series and are so sharp that you could cut
yourself on them. And you do know that they are going to last you the rest
of your life with no compatibility problems. My 100mm macro I know is long
in the tooth but the optics are great and it works just fine.

Gerry

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Thoughts on R8s)