Subject: [Leica] Using the 25 Skopar
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:41:08 -0400

LUGgers all,

I just bought the 25 Skopar last week and have put a few rolls of Delta100
using it on my IIIa and M6TTL.

The lens in very light.  This is both a good and a bad thing.  It balances
very nicely on the IIIa but IMO it is a poor handling match for the heavier
M6. I really like the IIIa/25 combo.   It slides very nicely into a pocket
and fits my hands well.  The very reasonable cost of the 25 ($275 at Adorama
with finder) also makes me happy. I took the IIIa/25 sailing, which is
something I am unlikely to do with my M6/21 ASPH.

Given the light weight of the 25, I expect that there is a lot of plastic in
the lens mechanics. However, it focuses smoothly and has a nice tactile feel
to it.  The chrome finish is nice and if you care about such things compares
decently with the Leica chrome finish on my 1st version 35 Summicron. The
finder is brighter and sharper than my 21 Leica finder, though there is
considerabley more barrel distortion in the Voigtlander finder. The two
finders are about the same size.  Interestingly, the coverage of the 25 and
21 finders is almost the same.

The negatives look pretty sharp corner to corner.  I haven't scanned
anything yet or done any side by side with the 21 asph but overall, things
look nice under the loupe.

Everything is not perfect however.  On my IIIa, the Voigtlander finder
prevents me from adjusting shutter speeds because I can't lift the dial high
enough.  When I use the Voigtlander double accessory shoe for the finder and
VC meter, I now can change shutter speeds since the shoe lifts the finder a
few mm from the camera. However, the placement of the second shoe over the
rewind knob means that rewinding is even more of a hassle.

Overall,  I am very pleased with the lens.  For Leica users, the price feels
like pocket change!  I think that dedicating the IIIa to this lens will make
a good, take it anywhere camera.

Jonathan Lee