Subject: Re: [Leica] Getting film into the film gate in M6
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 08:15:55 -0600

Hi Anthony,

A very good question and an interesting subject. I have had three M cameras,
two of which I still own. The first two, a M2 and a M4-2, load as smooth as
butter. You do not have flip the back open ever period. Eventually the lure
of a built in meter had me trading my M4-2 for a M6TTL. The M6TTL NEVER
loads without the kink in the leader catching period. You have to open the
back and jiggle it by the upper film guide every time. This is why Leica
gave us a flip open back but I was curious why I only needed it with one
camera. So I opened my M2 and M6TTL and laid them side by side for a careful
examination. The difference was easy to spot. The film guide next to the
upper edge of the film gate has a gradual chamfer on the M2 and a sharp edge
on the TTL. Now I just have to find a suitable material to make a chamfer on
my TTL....

I will keep you posted,

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Getting film into the film gate in M6)