Subject: Re: [Leica] question on M6TTL camera
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:19:42 +0200

John writes:

> It will cause no problems whatsoever. The film
> will not move backwards across the film plane
> as it is held by the teeth on the winding spool. You
> would have to tear the film to move it backwards.

If it is engaged by the take-up spool, there is no point in putting tension on
it.  If it is not engaged in the take-up spool, putting tension on it will not
change that--it will only draw film back into the cartridge.

I've always followed Leica's instructions in loading the film (which do not
include turned the rewind knob), and that has always worked fine.  The only
anomaly I have ever noticed is that very few films have a perfectly smooth
leader, which means that I usually verify that the leader has fully entered the
film gate before closing the camera (the base plate is supposed to push the film
into position, but the crease in the leader seems to systematically jam it just
above the gate, and I've never been willing to try to _force_ the base plate
onto the camera just to jam the film into place).