Subject: RE: Tri-X 320...extended sensitivity in the shadows? Was- RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #217
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 20:42:30 -0400

> Austin asks:
>
> > Are there any actual published tests that show
> > this "superior" shadow detail?
>
> The extended response in low light is quite obvious from the
> characteristic
> curves in publication F-9.

The problem with stuff like this is you actually need to understand what it
is you are looking at, and what it really means.  If you don't have that
understanding, you can draw erroneous conclusions from misinterpreting the
data.

That information does not show that TXP has "superior" shadow detail to TX.
What it shows, is under those SPECIFIC conditions, the relative DMin for TX
was slightly lower than for TXP.  Basically, that TXP has a lower optical
density for it's film base than TX does.  The curve, and the DRange of any
film is highly dependant on image, exposure and development.  You will note
they were both developed in two different developers.

I measured the film base of TXP-120 at 0.15 and the film base of TX-120 at
0.14.  Both film was developed in D-76 1:1 at 75F in a Jobo ATL-1500.  TXP
at 11 minutes, TX at 9.  I took the measurements with an X-Rite 810 optical
density meter.

My readings show that TX has a lower DMin, and therefore "superior" shadow
detail (which that concept is actually an incorrect premise, but that's a
different issue).  This is contrary to your analysis of the Kodak
information, which I contend, is erroneous.

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: Tri-X 320...extended sensitivity in the shadows? Was- RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #217)