Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o./Estimate kids
From: Pablo Kolodny <pkolodny@fibertel.com.ar>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 17:43:59 -0300

on 5/8/01 5:02 PM, Dan Cardish at dcardish@sympatico.ca wrote:

> Keep in mind we are talking about a 10 year old, not a teenager.  There's a
> difference.
>
> dan c.

Sure, that's why I didn't think about giving a Porsche...
We could finish in jail and someone killed or seriously injured.

We're talking about cameras, sort of toys that I'm sure some kids would
manage better than adults...
It would be amazing to see how some kids take care of toys, why not giving a
good camera so ?
Rolleiflexes are, for example, a good starting camera. Sturdy enough to give
kids some confidence...they're not so expensive and will give the kids the
chance to use the brain....
Most or all of the idiot cameras, I mean the ones with autofocus,
autoexposure, autoadvance film, autorewind film would rather help becoming
kids as idiots as cameras are...On the other side taking kids to use their
minds, to develop some ideas, to check results by processing film by
themselves and so will lead us to a better world. We would be helping them
to be better persons, skilled young boys and girls...
I think that, in most of the cases, kids are underestimated by adults like
us just for reasons that have nothing to do with mature or so...
Just give the kids the tools they deserve to grow up like smarts, skilled
and knowledgeable. Other way we'll be helping to build digital idiots,
isolated by ignorance and many other ingredients more...

Regards...

PS: I started at ten winding my own special Photavit 35 mm cartridges, then
started to manage a light meter (is so hard to match a couple of needles or
should you be an adult to do it?), then started to process my own black and
white films and then started doing my own enlargements...
I don't think I'm a special skilled boy by then but I do think my father
gave me the chance to be. That was great!!

Good luck

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o./Estimate kids)