Subject: [Leica] Pinhole camera quality
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:52:00 +0100

Erwin Puts (or possibly an impostor trying to get Erwin into trouble) wrote,
among other things:

>There has been some discussion on this list about the image quality that can
>be attained with a pinhole camera.

...snip...

>Anthony commented on pinhole quality and some typical responses are quoted
>above. One of the reasons for me to stay out of discussions as long as
>possible is the agressive tone and low quality of many exchanges of opinion.

I thought that the responses, especially those from John Brownlow, were
technically sound and were definitely not 'low quality'. However, I am glad
that you are now here to drag us hoolies* out of the gutter. Aggressive? Who
are you calling aggressive? Me? Step outside and say that. Let me take my
glasses off first though. Hey, wait a minute, that big black book you are
brandishing has sharp corners - looks like it could hurt me.

>But before proving/stating some persons ignorance one might want to look up
>the facts in an optical handbook.

There is plenty of evidence that shows that both John and, I hope, myself do
know our optics. I would welcome any criticism of, or correction to, either
of my previous posts on the subject, including the resolution details
included in my lighthearted FS notice. I have much to learn, and appreciate
guidance. An aside: I think that optical handbooks are not the only source
of valuable information; looking at original pictures taken with pinhole
cameras and doing one's own experiments are also valid.

>While Anthony's statement is not exactly true, there is more value in it
>that the commenters want to belive.

Anthony was comparing pinholes with Leica lenses. Refuting the suggestion
that pinholes suffered in this comparison only in terms of convenience, by
pointing out the scientific reasons why they also suffer in terms of image
resolution, does not mean that we are also saying that pinhole cameras
should be dismissed as junk. They are capable of remarkably fine pictures,
especially with large format film. I agree that there is some value in
Anthony's statement - not only in itself but also because it has provoked
discussion about the relative performance of very different imaging devices
(can't call them both lenses).

By the way, how can you know what we 'commenters want to believe'?

>In Jenkins/White: Fundamentals of Optics you can see a reproduction of a
>picture taken with a pinhole that some would assume could have been taken
>with an older Leica lens.

'Some would assume could'  Yes, I kind-of partially agree, quite possibly,
or maybe not, perhaps?
Would you like to comment on how that picture was printed or what size the
negative was?

>So before you hang a man at the willows, do your home work.

Erwin, on this occasion I humbly submit that if it is really you, you should
do your homework. A good place to start would be your statement: 'Of course
the edges of the pinhole will generate diffraction but I wonder if it is
more than that
what you would get when stopping down a lens to f/16.' I am not being
sarcastic. The size of the Airy disc created by a pinhole or other aperture
is a trivial calculation, but the relative brightness of the Airy disc to
the disc formed by the direct rays is not. A study of that issue might show
that the simple formula used for diffraction limiting does not tell the
whole story.

Fortunately there are experimenters out there who ignore the rules and try
these things anyway (ie pinholes smaller than the theoretical
diffraction-limited diameter). I experimented with pinhole photography many
years ago, though not to the limits of resolution. Both the experiments and
the process were enjoyable and informative. The type of pictures were not
what I wanted, so I stopped.

Best Wishes,
Malcolm
*hoolie = hooligan