Subject: Re: [Leica] Chemical re-use
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 07:40:14 -0600

Of course you can reuse chemicals! B&W becomes almost expensive if you do
not. Any real camera shop should have a testing solution for your fixer (or
check it the way Johnny suggested)*. If you have indicator stop bath then
reuse as per instructions. Some people just use a plain water rinse as a
stop bath. You can also make up stop bath from plain old household white
vinegar. There are books at your library that will explain how (websites
too?). For XTOL, follow Kodak's recommendations which can be read or
downloaded from their website. I dilute my XTOL to 1:3** for one shot use.
You only use about a 100 ml per roll so 5 litres can develop 50 rolls if you
are careful. ALWAYS DATE YOUR CHEMICALS WITH AN EXPIRY DATE. I am not a
bright chap and after five minutes or so I forget when I made the chemicals
up so mark it on the bottle. Using some system that removes the air each
time you close the bottle is a very good idea and most chemical storage
times take that for granted.

John Collier

*Exhausted fixer has a high silver concentration and is toxic, as Brian
pointed out, so dispose of it at your local hazardous waste depot.

**There were problems with people not having enough developer in their
working solutions so Kodak dropped the 1:3 recommendations from their
website. I can send you the old PDF if you want. As long as you are careful
about the having 100ml of developer per roll (especially with T-Max films,
Tri-X is not so fussy), there are no problems.  I remove a reel from my
tanks to keep the roll/developer ratio up to snuff. So 7 rolls in a 8 roll
tank works well with Tri-X.