Subject: Re: [Leica] OT pinhole lenses
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:54:47 -0700

At 1:30 PM -0400 8/3/01, Daniel Post wrote:
>I was wondering if one took a small glass sphere- and here I was thinking
>specifically of a round sapphire lens about 2mm in diameter that Edmund
>Scientific sells for about $10- and mounted it in a sheet of  something like
>shim brass, equipped with a pinhole aperture, if the image would be any
>good....?
>Dan (With entirely too much time on his hands)Post

I think you would wind up with a lens of around 2mm or less focal
length (depending on refractive index - I'm not going to do that now)
of poor imaging quality, and your pinhole aperture would cut down
many, but not all of the many  aberrations. You would also have
significant barrel distortion. All in all, not up to Leica standards.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com