Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: "George Day" <george@rdcinteractive.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:45:17 -0700

Not in terms of resolution.  At normal viewing distances for an 8x10, even
40
lp/mm is difficult to distinguish visually.

GD: You're entitled to your opinion.  I'll rest my opinion on years of
viewing.

> If this were the case, you can imagine that
> a lot more magazine covers, to say nothing of
> fine art prints, etc., etc., etc., would be shot
> with the far greater convenience of 35mm.

Most of them already are, when they are not being shot digitally.

GD: ah, wrong.  Many, many of my friends and acquaintances in the industry
shoot for some of the leading mags.  Covers -- especially product/people
covers -- are almost uniformly medium or even large format.  Quite a few are
using digital, but pretty much in those formats.

MF certainly provides potentially greater image quality than 35mm, but that
does
not mean that the difference can actually be seen under most viewing
conditions.

GD: You're entitled to your opinion.  I rest rather comfortably in
experience and don't see a reason to belabor this.  Perhaps, after a few
years in the industry, you'll reconsider your opinion.

If the difference were so consistently obvious and large, 35mm would not be
the
leading format today.

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format)