Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:59:52 -0700

Mxsmanic wrote:
><Snip>
>
> MF certainly provides potentially greater image quality than 35mm, but that does
> not mean that the difference can actually be seen under most viewing conditions.
> If the difference were so consistently obvious and large, 35mm would not be the
> leading format today.

Often MF is used because of it's impact on the light table. How it looks mounted
in those black cardboard presentation things.
And it's ability to be checked with a Polaroid of a size you can see.
Or the exact aspect ration of it's shape is what is wanted. Squares for instance
to name an extreme example.
6x7 another. They just like the shape of the thing.
The way it ends up printing or reproducing can be almost an afterthought.
Not that I don't appreciate it. I very much do.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/