Subject: [Leica] Old 19mm-R vs. New 21mm-M
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:04:46 -0700

I had the old style 19mm for R for several years, but recently sold it and bought a 21mm ASPH for M.  Here is why:

Negatives:
1.  The old 19mm is very heavy, and BIG.
2.  Filters are really out of the question; very large front element, have to be very careful not to touch the front glass, and vignetting.
3.  Objects on the edges grow wider very significantly.  In a group portrait the people on the edge look like caricatures.
4.  Lots of corner darkening at f/2.8; really useable at f/5.6 and above.
5.  On an R8, the P in the viewfinder flashes, because the camera thinks it is not set at minimum aperture.  It works just fine, however, if you can ignore the flashing.  It works best (for that reason) on an R7 and below, with a grid screen.

Positives:
1.  At f/5.6 and above landscape images are gorgeous.
2.  Landscapes easily blow up to 12x18.
3.  Straight lines stay straight.  Absolutely.  Only very fat at the edges.

So, this is a great landscape lens, and not a group people lens.

But, I recently tried out a 21mm ASPH-M lens, and found that even at the edges, there was far less "fattening."  Even pictures of groups and people were acceptable at the edges.  The lens is lighter and smaller, and takes filters.  And, it appears fully useable at f/2.8.

Since I am using the super wide for either people (fat people issue), or travel (weight issue), the choice between the two lenses is obvious.

I have not had the pleasure of trying the new 19mm-R.  Perhaps the issues are all resolved, except that I think the M is still lighter.