Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Don McCullin
From: Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:35:03 +0100

Hi,

he was commissioned by Christian Aid (I think he actively sought the
commission) to go to Africa, and he spent several weeks/months earlier
this year out there. The exhibition is called 'Cold Heaven - Don
McCullin on AIDS in Africa'. You should be able to find links through
googl,e if there are any, using those keywords. They were exhibited in
London at the Whitechapel Gallery from 25 May to 10 June 2001. The
catalogue/book with the same title is available through normal outlets
for GBP 10- (USD 14- approx.) and proceeds go to the Christian Aid
HIV/AIDS fund. www.christian-aid.org.uk.

He is working in b&w.

I happened to meet him in the street a few weeks before the exhibition. He
told me to go and see it, but said he didn't think the pictures were very
good. With all due respect I think most people - including me - would
disagree. Although I think some of opening portraits are rather repetitive -
AIDs patient and carers direct to camera, environmental portraits in their
own homes - they are cumulatively very strong, and the exhibition and catalogue
then move on to show funerals, followed by child patients and orphans in homes.
There is a pivotal portrait, head and shoulders, of a young boy at his father's
funeral and the total effect of these is very moving indeed.

They illustrate well McCullin's view that this is a war in its own
way, and that poverty is a joint enemy, along with the disease itself.
It is, imo, classic humanistic reportage in which the people are
allowed to be individuals rather than ciphers, and project dignity and
strength against overwhelming odds.

The exhibition included a 5-minute video documentary showing him at
work, which is extremely interesting.

- ---

 Bob

mailto:bob@web-options.com