Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Digital Leica and reality
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:14:56 +0200

Austin writes:

> The 4000 SPI images show far more detail than
> the 2700 scan.  It is ESPECIALLY obvious in the
> grass blade test.

As I've said, everyone here can visit the page and see for himself, so my
comments are unnecessary.

> "From the above scans, it shows that 35mm
> shows increasing detail at least to 6000 dpi
> in the drum scans..., and similar to the best
> consumer film scanners available today (4000 dpi).
> The more common film scanners (2400 to 2800 dpi)
> do not record all the detail on images such as
> this one (they probably will record all detail
> on grainier film, or hand-held snapshots)."

Note the mention of hand-held shots and grainier film.

> It's funny how you claim that these images
> prove your point, when they clearly don't, AND
> it IS stated, by the author, basically that your
> claim is wrong.

Nobody needs to listen to any claims made by either of us, since the page is
accessible to all.

> That is, once again, a flawed conclusion.  You
> are basing this on your initially flawed assertion
> that 2700 SPI can reliably scan 53 lp/mm, which
> these tests clearly show is not true.

No.  Even at half that resolution (26 lp/mm), there is enough detail in a
full-frame image to match the visual acuity of human vision.  In addition, as
I've pointed out separately in another message, I have a scan in front of me
that very clearly shows 53 lp/mm from a 2700-dpi scanner.