Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:07:26 -0400

At 12:01 AM 7/26/01 -0700, you wrote:
>OK, now that we have had scanning epistemology, ontology, and a Great
>Schism over the hermeneutics of The Book of Nyquist, how 'bout some nuts
>'n bolts?
>
>Hear ye, hear ye, all ye good folks who scan black and white *film*.  Do
>you use "real" B&W or chromagenic film?  I'm particularly interested in
>people who use film scanners and real black-and-white.  Have you had
>problems with grain aliasing?  If so, what scanner do you use, what's its
>resolution, and what do you do about the aliasing?  Defocus?  Scan at
>lower resolution?  Limit the size of your prints?  Wave chicken entrails
>over your head in a paper bag at midnight?
>
>--Peter

Peter -

I'm scanning B&W TMax films with the Nikon LS4000 and have not seen any
grain aliasing (maybe the T grain films are different?)  I had some very
old TriX that was so grainy I couldn't print it in the darkroom.  The GEM
software with the LS4000 (Grain Equalization and Management) allows you to
control the amount of grain and I've made beautiful Piezography prints with
those grainy old negatives.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com