Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh.. bah!
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:22:05 -0500

Juan Buhler writes:

> Hi Ted!
>
> I agree with you, you can be an excellent photographer and not
> care/know/be aware of bokeh.
>
> What I don't agree with is the implied sugestion that you cannot be a
> good photographer if you care about bokeh, or that talking about bokeh
> denotes someone who is a wannabe photographer. I think Johnny is
> probably the best evidence that that's not true (and he got rid of the
> Nokton because of its bokeh, right JD?)  I think I've even read here
> someone referring to it as "believing in bokeh". That's silly.
>
> Time is wasted in many ways on this and most other photo lists. I
> don't think a discussion about bokeh is one. Now, a discussion about
> discussing bokeh probably is.

Juan, even though I may run the risk of getting on Ted's bad side, I think I
have to agree with you. I only became aware of the term 'Bokeh' a few years
ago when I joined the LUG and I now have a new appreciation for the Out Of
Focus, (OOF) areas of a photograph. And there does seem to be a difference
in the look of the OOF from one lens to another, so much so that I now
always prefer my Summilux 50/1.4 over my current model Summicron 50/2.0 not
for the extra f. stop but for the overall look and especially the OOF,
(Bokeh) area.

One area where I have really noticed Bokeh in a big way is in TV commercials
and feature films. I often find myself enjoying the cinematography more than
the movie itself.

Well, hopefully Ted will still buy me that Scotch when I see him at the
Leica workshop in October.

sl

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Bokeh.. bah!)