Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:59:00 +0200

Austin writes:

> Digital image capture is NOT based on "information
> theory" ...

Information theory is the quintessence of digital image capture, and indeed of
all digital processing of all kinds.

> I have shown, why that IS a rule.

No, it is an empirical guideline, imposed by engineering limitations up to now.

It's rather like saying that no lens can be faster than f/0.7.  Actually, a lens
_can_ be faster than f/0.7, but from an engineering standpoint, it is
extraordinarily difficult to build lenses that are faster than that (indeed,
even f/1 is a major feat).  But it is important to distinguish between what is
practical and what is actually possible, otherwise you never actually achieve
all that is truly possible.

> It's such a basic rule of signal processing, it is
> obviously you don't have any real background in this
> field.

The most basic rules of signal processing are embodied in information theory,
and you've just told me that digital image capture is not based on information
theory.

> If you really believe yourself, then show me
> that you can design a scanner that can reliably
> scan a line of .009mm with a sensor that is
> .009mm without doing some technique to (effectively)
> increase the sample rate.

I've just explained what is possible, not what is actually done.  I suppose that
if some engineers believe that certain things are not possible, out of a lack of
familiarity with theory, they'll probably never design scanners that achieve
those things.

It wasn't so long ago that people believed that aspherics and diffractive optics
were blue-sky or "impossible," too.