Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: Digital Leica and reality
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:10:41 +0200

At 04:45 PM 7/23/01 -0700, Frank Filippone wrote:
>OK.. it invents DOTS of ink.. so what is the difference other than a
>technical definition.. Pixels are captured, some other technical term (
>dots?) are printed.....
>
>those dots were not there in the original capture,,, and that is my point.,.
>they ( whatever you wish to call them) are invented.
>
>The multitude need to understand clearly that a true 1:1 correlation of
>captured pixels to printed pixels does not happen in a digital enlargement..
>It does so happen in wet prints.
>
>Where do the extra digital pixels come from?  A math algorithim.
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net

It's called INTERPOLATION. All digital imaging algorithms, whether in
silicon or firmware, interpolate the results of reading out a CCD or CMOS
sensor.

Remember, it takes four real pixels to make a single color pixel. One red
pixel, two green pixels, and one blue pixel.

This really means that the optical resolution of a digital camera is 1/4 of
the stated resolution. A 2 million pixel CCD is really a 500,000 CCD.

Interpolation invents data that is not there and stuffs it in. Look up
"interpolation" in the dictionary.

Remember Fuji claiming something like 4.7 megapixels? The CCD in the camera
was actually around 2.4 MP. This really means that it recorded 600,000
actual pixels. There's a whole lot of data inventing going on to get from
600,000 to 4,700,000. Fuji r-e-a-l-l-y took heat about this.

Genuine Fractals is the classic supreme interpolation program. It can
invent data from hell to breakfast, and have change left over. Want to make
a poster from a simple digital camera? Use
Genuine Fractals. What you get in the blow-up is not the picture that you
took, it is a figment of Genuine Fractals imagination. It may look like the
picture you took. But 90% of what you see is invented pixels.

Is it real, or is it Memorex?

Jim