Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:24:33 +0200

Austin writes:

> If you want to detect a line that has a
> width of 0.009mm, which is the width of the
> line in a 53 lp/mm set, which is 106 lines,
> you need to sample at slightly more than
> 2x that, or < .0045 mm/sensor in order to
> detect the line RELIABLY, ie, every time.

Exactly 2x is fine.

> Your are flawed in thinking that you can
> detect a .009mm line with a .009mm wide sensor
> RELIABLY.

You haven't defined what you mean by "reliably."

> Draw a picture for your self, and you will
> see that if you make your line pairs which are
> 0.009mm per line, straddle the .009mm sensors,
> such that 1/2 of a line is over one sensor,
> and 1/2 over the other, you may not detect any
> lines at all, you will get gray.

The gray _is_ the detection of the line; it is gray because the line is only
half present in each pixel.  This is exactly the expected result, and it
corresponds to true detection of the lines.

> Please think about this before replying.  I've
> spend the past 20+ years designing digital
> imaging systems...so this is not just an academic
> exercise for me.

I've spent the same amount of time working with information theory, and I know
exactly whereof I speak.  Keep in mind that a practical understanding and a
theoretical understanding are not necessarily coincident, nor is one necessarily
a subset or superset of the other.