Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M Filters
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:10:18 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/01 6:32:08 AM, red735i@earthlink.net writes:

>I think this is the future of digital filters.  And I applaud it.... I
>do
>
>like some of the stuff being done using ( IMO tasteful) filters.
>
>Pointillism, different brush strokes, focus and de-focus, "grain" effects
>
>( I really like Marks' statement of icy developer to boiling water using
>
>TriX.. as I did this myself when I was about 14.... the negative still
>
>haunts me)....etc.  This is where digital methods offer a superb advantage
>
>to the average and more than average darkroom worker.  The "palette" of
>
>effects gets so much enhanced.  However, Jerry Uelsman ( sp.?), I think
>has
>
>the talent to do this using a wet darkroom.....  How many more of us have
>
>the expertise or the time to learn the expertise?

I personally am looking forward to the "complete look" plug-in filters aimed
at the consumer market.  You know  so that folks who don't want to take the
time to learn the digital craft anymore than to learn traditional darkroom
techniques can select their photos and have the famous "look" of other
photographers.  My guesses:

The Ansel Adams---turns any PS landscape shot into BW with proper zones.  The
Yosemite mountain cut and paste option would be available too.

The Lillian Bassman--for budding "old look" fashion photographers.  Turns PS
people photos into BW images with chalk and charcoal accents and heavy
selected Gaussian blur.

The HCB-- a magical all-in-one-filter, that miraculously turns any photo of
folks at a McDonalds or other fast food restaurant into a BW scene at a
1940's-50's Parisian cafe.

Kim

(who has added taking steroidal supplements to my weightlifting regime, in
anticipation of a noctilux.)