Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:16:05 -0400

> The recent POP Photo scanner review *measured* the resolution of
> the LS-4000 at 60 lp/mm.  As I understand it, noise plays a major
> role in reducing the true resolution of a scanner down from the
> theoretical resolution (which would be 78 lp/mm for a 4000 SPI
> sensor).

I'd have to think about that, but that does not make sense (noise limiting
the resolution) to me.  Noise certainly does limit the dynamic range (which
is on a per pixel basis), but I fail to see how it limits the resolution,
which would be across pixels.  If the lense is not up to snuff, or the
scanner has vibration issues, I can see that limiting resolution...but not
noise.

Replies: Reply from "Mark E Davison" <dmark8@qwest.net> (Re: [Leica] Scanning)
Reply from "Mark E Davison" <dmark8@qwest.net> (Re: [Leica] Scanning)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanning)