Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:35:17 +0200 (MEST)

One interesting aspect of digital is that the old reflex finder versus
rangefinder war from the 1950s/60s becomes largely obsolete. For quick
framing, use the optical finder. For careful focussing, framing and
image evaluation, use the LCD screen (enventually with loupe). And all
that without mechanical reflex mirror, groundglas and prism system!

Since the M-System's strength is in medium and wideangle angle lenses,
it would be a pitty if a digital M body does not offer full 24x36mm
coverage. The digital M could even offer AF with M lenses, by moving
only the CCD sensor.

In the very, very long run we may indeed see some super-miniaturised
digital components: flat CCD back with full 24x36mm coverage replacing
the film pressure plate and electronics module (power/storage)
replacing film cartridge. But isnt' this like putting an electric motor
into a Ferrari?

What currently puts me off digital is the lack of attractive cameras.
You have "consumer" cameras with all these point & shoot features
(permanent auto flash etc.), but those still come with 300 page
manuals.

A Digital "Pro" SLR might be an unavoidable tool for a wire photo
journalist, but they are still provisorial solutions: the lenses are
not optimised for the smaller CCDs and the bodies still look like made
for film (like the first motor cars that looked like horse carriages).
Digital SLRs with fixed zoom lenses are better in this respect, but the
restriction to a slow zoom lens is too bad.

Studio photographers may plug their high end digital backs directly
into their macs, avoiding delays and cost of chemical processing. But I
am not aware of the economics of the investment.

Hans-Peter

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] digital M)