Subject: Re: [Leica] why I *don't* want a digital M
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:42:34 -0400

The M camera was a great camera when it was first made - 50 years ago.  It
was - and is - a great camera for 36x24 frames.  Notwithstanding this, an M
digital would just be a kludge.

The problem is that with the current state of technology and batteries, an
M digital would lose all of its compact charm.  If you don't jam a true
36x24 CCD in it, you end up with your best lens being a short telephoto
(the 50/2).  Even then, unless the pixel sizes on CCDs start to shrink
radically, your resolution ends up capped.  You will still run through
batteries like there is no tomorrow and end up with a huge "motor drive."
And you'd lose most of the resolution of the lens because the CCD would be
a drag on the imaging path.

I don't share the view that digital as we know it will progress much.  The
current thinking in the industry is using a film metaphor (conventional
camera with conventional lenses and shutter) and stagnating with CCDs,
which unless interpolated to hell, only get higher resolution by increasing
sensor size.  I have seen enough disclaimers on the 6 megapixel units to
understand this.

Sadly, in the short run, it is still more cost (and obsolescence-)
effective to store image data on film, which is lossless and lower in cost
than digital systems.  Consider that a roll of Gold 100 costs $4.50
processed and holds 36x144Mb of data (at 16 bits/channel and 4000dpi) - for
20 years or more.  You would be lucky if your PC even reads files that are
10 years old.

The real threat to 35mm film will come with the next generation of
sensors.  If pixel size were to, say, halve, you could halve the frame size
and use much smaller cine-type lenses.  Then you get into f/1.4 and f/2
zooms, things that conventional camera users dream about.  (On that scale,
just about every M-mount lens would be dog slow and huge).  If pixel size
quartered, you would have twice the resolution and half the size.  The
manufacturing benefit would be being able to use smaller, easier-to-make
elements.  That of course assumes more efficient storage.

Perhaps the greatest irony is that the 120 film formats pack so much data
that they will probably outlast the younger 35mm technology.