Subject: Re: [Leica] New stuff redux
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:36:13 -0700

Hi Chandos,
For what this it's worth and as you know, I'm always open for rebuttal. ;-)

Some comments on the PAW 12 pictures,

On an over all basis I like the exposure and light look of all the images,
no real problem with any of them.

But what I do see that is obvious and it's illustrated in several frames and
that is, "You are not holding the camera correctly where you should!" Or at
least to say, the distortion  is unwarranted as it doesn't add anything to
the frames.

The tilting throws everything off as it drags the eye away from the content.

The children's swing ride. I find the lady on the right chopped a bit too
tight where she might have added more depth to the frame rather than being
cut in half.

The bar with glasses would have worked incredibly well if you were stopped
down and the glasses went crispy sharp from the right edge of frame right
through to the back, as this kind of art subject really lends itself to that
kind of "art picture sharpness" rather than the out of focus glasses which
in reality become an out of focus distraction

Obviously it would've entailed tripod use to acquire the greater depth of
field to carry the sharpness to the background.  If they were sharp, it
would've led the eye into the overall frame much better.

The lady framed through other body parts doesn't do anything, as it isn't a
complete picture as she's cut off too tight with the overall feeling lost as
it becomes an exercise in exposure rather than a photograph with content.

The two ladies with cameras would more than likely have been much stronger
if you'd bent your knees and gone for a lower angle. It also didn't help not
holding the camera horizontally and vertically correct.

Those wide angle lenses are killers unless you handle them squared off
correctly.

So there you go eh, I hope this isn't offensive, but that you find it
helpful as you have produced some wonderful imaginative images here in the
past.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant