Subject: RE: [Leica] Newton's rings
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <griffil1@anz.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:38:30 +1000

 Mike Durling wrote:

>I think the Newton rings are some sort of interference pattern between the
>film and glass when they are almost, but not quite, in contact with each
>other.  I think the usual fix is to install some kind of spacer, made from
>cardboard or something, to widen the gap.

That's the way I fixed a problem with Newton rings on my Durst ancien.  I've
been using the same piece of cardboard with hole in it for about seven
years.  Cost about 2 cents and gets rid of Newton rings very effectively.

For anyone curious - it's a piece of cardboad the same size as the carrier
with a narrower bit sticking out each end.  The hole is the size of an
exposed 35mm shot, with about 2mm clearance on each edge.  I've used two
short lengths of that plastic stuff the labs give your trannies back in to
hold the neg in place - stuck at each end.  Looks like crap but works a
treat.  (Cheap too!)

ps - you've gotta use that smooth shiny compressed cardboard - not the stuff
covered in extraneous fluff, for obvious reasons.

cheers,
Lucian G.