Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF-TOPIC: alternative webhosting for NBCi
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:15:44 -0400

on 7/22/01 8:43 PM, Dave Hillman at dave@hillmanimages.com wrote:

>> Would anyone have any suggestions as to alternative free or low cost web
>> space providers ?
>
> If you can get a statically assigned IP address with an ADSL line you can
> host your own as I do. Not sure where in the world where that is available.

some service providers don't like servers running on their broadband line
and will sniff the ports to make sure you're not running web hosts, DNS,
email or news servers. You can easily defeat this by running on a
non-standard port but it's not ideal.

Alternatively you can run some personal firewall which reports any sniff
attempts and you can see what they are actually checking. EG Rogers in my
area only checks for news servers at the moment. Dunno why.

hth

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com