Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Digital Leica and reality
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:39:48 -0400

on 7/22/01 2:54 PM, Frank Filippone at red735i@earthlink.net wrote:

> FYI:::: To figure what kind of camera sensor would be needed to print a
> digital print in the same "mood" as a analog print, you can not go backwards
> from what a digital printer can do... you can only go backwards from what
> analog negatives and paper can resolve!  Then you may come close to what a
> diffraction limited lens like a Leica optic is capable of.....and then
> establish numerically why this thread is silly.....
>
> BTW, that Piezo driver is one of those tools that INVENTS pixels.

unlike Frank I suspect I have actually printed 35mm on both traditional
materials and piezo, and have also worked with digitally acquired images

for my money there is little to choose between silver prints and piezo
prints for 35mm. Some guys prefer one, other guys the other.

digital behaves quite differently than film. anti-digitalists always
conveniently forget that film has grain. The impact of that grain on the
perceived sharpness and detail of a print is *MASSIVE*. Never mind the
defocus filter in front of the CCD, think about the noise filter that's part
and parcel of film

when you print, say, a 3 megapixel digital image at around 5x7, it does
*not* look like a 35mm image printed that size

it looks like large format

it is gorgeous

you look at it and you think, jeez, with four times as many pixels I can
print a 16x20 from a camera that looks like a 35mm camera but it's going to
look like large format. And it is going to show off my Leica lenses.

Even now, a well printed 14x11 image from a Canon D30 will fool you into
thinking it is ISO 100 film. You have to get real close to see that it
isn't. And the colors... well the colors are amazing.

like I say, watch the bumblebee

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com