Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:27:09 -0400

<Teresa299@aol.com> wrote:

>> Digital images look different than film images.

> Alrighty then. How do they look different? Is there more
> information? Is the information by nature of it being a
> digital process presented/read differently than a
> traditional film process?

Seeing is more relevant in this case than describing. I'd recommend taking
some pics with your digicam and with your favorite film camera/lens combo,
of the same subject matter, and comparing the results, keeping in mind that
your digicam (like mine) is a consumer P&S model. Also take a look at
Michael Reichmann's comparative evaluation of his EOS D30 and Fuji Provia
100F at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/d30_vs_film.htm.

> Understand this, I'm not challenging you or any one else who is
> hot to get a digital camera. It's your vision, your art, no one
> needs mine or anyone else's permission to do what they want.
> I'm simply trying to understand why a digital M would be such a
> great thing. That's all.

This goes back to my previous statement: I'm interested in anything that
makes images. I have a particular fondness for rangefinder cameras and wish
to see the company that makes the best ones survive and prosper after
digital becomes the dominant image capture medium.

- -Dave-