Subject: [Leica] re: digital film and bumblebees
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:36:42 -0400 (EDT)

fwiw, the "scientists prove bumble bees can't fly" thing is an urban
legend. (you can look it up on alt.folklore.urban) it has been proven that
bumblebees cannot _glide_. which they do not, in fact, do.

from the AFU archives:

> Bumblebees CAN fly! The oft heard ridicule of scientists that say a
> bumble cannot fly because its wings are too small, in spite of the
> evidence of their own eyes, is based on a misrepresentation of an
> incident that occurred in the 1930's. McMasters (in the Amer. Sci.
> 77:164-169) reports that a noted Swiss professor of aerodynamics at a
> dinner party with biologists was asked about the aerodynamics of wasp
and bee
> wings. He performed some calculation for the bumblebee based on a smooth
> wing and got a low Reynolds number, "proving" the bee incapable of
> flight. He obviously knew that the calculations were simplistic, and
> later (after examining a wing under a microscope and noting the bent and
> folded nature of the wing), corrected his error, but like the news media
> of today, the correction received little notice.

just doing my bit to end internet rumors,

kc

(at least internet rumors that i haven't started)

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] re: digital film and bumblebees)