Subject: [Leica] RE: digital M
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:28:12 -0400

Jay wrote:

>But now, with only M lenses, I'd like the chance to use them digitally,
instead of buying
>completely into another system or an autofocus, permanently mounted
zoom
>lens only digital camera.

I think this is right. Right now there seems to be two options available
if you want to add a digital option. You can get a glorified compact, or
you can get a monster SLR. I'd like a third option that offers the
control and small size of an M, that feels familiar and that uses the
lenses I already have without changing their effective focal length.

Even if the resolution would not be up to Leica analog standards (and
I'm thinking "in addition to analog", not "replacement for", so who
really cares if it doesn't?), surely you WOULD be able to take advantage
of the fact that M lenses tend to be on the fast side. A full frame M
digital + Noctilux would be nice for a lot of applications, don't you
think? Leica primes also exhibit a lot less flare than the zooms the
other cameras use. There is, after all,  more to image gathering than
brute resolution.

Plus, imagine digital with nice bokeh! :-) Take that, Nikon!

Simon Stevens

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from "Ed Kowaleski" <ekowaleski@twmi.rr.com> ([Leica] digital M)