Subject: [Leica] Introducing myself
From: "Simon Wong" <drsimonwong@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:13:14 +0000

Hello Mr Mark Rabiner,

I'm a newbie in the world of Leicas. Mainly just following the LUG digest
and learning from a far.

I did post on the LUG "Where we post from" a little while ago but will
anwser your question and share a little of myself anyway.

Been taking photographs on an off for my own pleasure for about 15 years. As
much a gear nut and technician as a photographer. But in a modest way. Owned
a few different makes, Nikon FE and system, Olympus OM2 and system. Dabled
in 120 and still have a Yashicamat 124G and a neat Kowa 6 setup, including
my prized 40mm.

A lot of P+S's including Olympus Epics and Yashica T4's. Recently a 28mm
Ricoh GR1-s which goes with me everywhere.

Went auto everything for a while with a Canon EOS setup, but I guess I was
too used to mechanical cameras (excluding the P+S's of course) and starting
to trade it all in for the Leica M.

About 10 years ago I came across the M3. I've been admiring from a far ever
since. This year I'm taking the plunge and will have a new M6TTL and will be
looking at lenses in the 35/90 range. Possibly something wide too.

I would like to explore available light photography. Up until now almost all
my photography has been with flash. Fill flash has always played a role in
my image making.

I'm even thinking of returning to school. There are excellent photographic
colleges that offer part time courses. I would like to explore B+W too.

I like prints as my medium and have until now settled with colour. I like
album sized prints, 8x10 and 8x12 or 8x8 and 10x10. I take photographs of
family and friends in the various settings of their lives. My absolute
favourite photography is of my adventures snowboarding.

For a time I lived in Canada at Whistler. Mainly playing, but I'm also a
high level instructor.

At the moment I live in Melbourne Australia and am horrified with the cost
of new Leica equipment relative to the rest of the world. Even with our
rockbottom dollar. No such thing as 3 year Passport warranties either.

I've lead a nomads life, Malaysian born Chinese. Raised in Australia and
spent a big chunk of my adult life in London, UK.

I live a very service orientated life, by profession a dentist. I really
have to work hard to win people's confidence and I appreciate it when other
people do the same for me. I also try to make a note of acknowledging them
for their efforts. My dealings have been with Mel by email off list- and his
advice has been returned off list.

I could easily misinterpret your comments as edged ,but I'll accept it with
grace and view it as curiousity about a new member. I hope I am not being
too straight forward.

Sincerely yours,

Dr Simon Wong
Melbourne, Australia

Simon Wong wrote:

>Just note of thanks to Mel Levy for the help he has offered in the recent
>months. I have taken up a tremendous amount of his time and for all
>intensive purposes, he has made no money off me. Yet he has continued to
>provide information beyond what is expected.
>
>I am new to world of Leica and have found his level of service is
>distinctly
>old world and extremely welcome. This is  especially true compared to the
>normal 20 year old who mans the typical photographic department desk.
>
>Cheers.
>Simon Wong

T' would be nice if some of this advice was on list!! All we see are the
price
lists on Fridays! We'd like to hear from YOU as well I'm sure! Dealers who
join
into the discussion have a real advantage. We buy faster from people we
know!
Does Mel shoot with Leicas? Do you? What kind? What of?
Basically, both of you are complete strangers to this list. Introductions
are in
order perhaps!
As far as we know you could be his assistant!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/