Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Users digest V20 #165
From: "Stewart Loving-Gibbard" <sloving-gibbard@uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:02:54 -0700

>> Subject: Re: [Leica] What should happen to frame counter when M4-2 is
unloaded?

>> I did not see an answer so here goes. It is not serious and will not
cause
>> any problems other than not knowing what frame you are really at. The M
>> camera was basically cancelled when the Canadian plant stepped in and
saved
>> the day. The new model, the M4-2, had a few teething problems at first as
>> they trained mostly new workers in the assembly of M cameras. Curiously,
one
>> of the bugs was exactly your problem! The spring which resets the counter
>> had its hook spread too far apart and this would hang up inside. Whether
>> your particular camera is suffering from this or a bit of dirt gumming
>> things up, who knows. The top plate will have to come off and that
requires
>> special tools so I would not do it yourself. As the camera is just on the
>> other side of brand new, it will probably need a CLA as well.
>>
>> John Collier

Thanks for responding John. After hearing nothing on this list I finally
wandered off and found the archives, and read much the same thing.

I've discovered that the problem only happens after the frame counter
is advanced beyond 20 or so. If I'm being anal, I can unload the camera,
then replace the bottom (or hold the camera against a hard flat surface),
shoot five frames, and remove the bottom again (or lift up the camera).
With only five frames shot, there seems to be enough energy in the spring(s)
to return the counter to the proper -2 position.

Needless to say, this hack makes film loading even more of a treat than it
was before, so I'm finding I usually skip it. I expect I'll eventually
adapt to the +4 counter and translate mentally.

I'll probably only want to CLA the camera if I become obsessed with it,
and if I become obsessed with it I probably won't want to part with it
for any serious block of time. So I'd better learn to live with it..

- - Stew