Subject: [Leica] Re: grips and soft releases
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:55:46 -0700

At 11:51 AM 7/19/01 -0400, someone wrote:

>>There's a grip available for the M as well (Leica part 14 405, usually
>>available for $90, a lot less gray or used); it may seem overkill to use it
>>with the 35, but I keep mine on all the time (I have 35, 50 and 75 lenses)
>>and love it.

I'm not a grip kind of person. I find them very unwieldily and awkward,
especially when holding the camera vertically (portrait orientation.)

My wrist doesn't bend that way.

I tried and tried. Tom Abrahamsson gave me one of his prototypes to use and
I tried in earnest to use it. I think it defeats the purpose of a soft
release as a soft release allows releasing the shutter with various parts
of your fingers and thumb. Even the base of your thumb. A soft release
allows you to hold your camera comfortably in both hands, and then release
the shutter, without any finger contortions attempting to poke a little
metal plunger down inside a hole. With a soft release, what ever part of
your fingers, thumb, or hand, is over the soft release, a simple squeeze
will quietly release the shutter.

This is not possible while attempting to use a grip as a grip was intended
to be used. And if it cannot be used as it was intended, it is simply in
the way.

IMHO,

Jim