Subject: [Leica] LUG: waist bag
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:10:00 -0600

John Emmet asked:
I see everyone talking about the shoulder bag, but I prefer a bag I can
attach around my waist. Anyone have some recommendations? thanks.

and so I reply:
I've got the same preference, as the bag notifies me when it is being
jostled or moved, whereas a dangling bag, well....

I've been carrying Mountainsmith fanny ("lumbar") packs for years, and two
of the nicest things about them is that: they're extremely comfortable, and
Everyone has one. Most people's are stuffed with fleece jackets & Nalgene
bottles, so nobody thinks that mine is packing a full load of M6/CL/lenses
galore. Until today.

The Tour pack is big enough to handle an M6 with 28, and a 90f2 and
21f2.8goggles in an old cut-down cheapo camera case that fits nicely into
the bottom, and usually there's a 15 in a neoprene pouch and an SF20, with
cable, floating around on top of that load; undoubtedly Domke or someone
else makes a great insert that would work as well. The inside pocket handles
the essentials (batteries, cleaners, spare caps), and the external pocket
holds pouches for shot & unshot film. I always carry the bag with a good
shoulder strap; when I need something, I loosen the belt & swing the pack
around to the front hanging from the shoulder strap, then swing it back to
the back & cinch it down. If I'm in a crowd, I either keep it around the
front, or, if not shooting, carry it by the handles.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/product/index.html

look for the Tour pack. If you need something bigger, check out the Day;
they have about the same footprint, but the Day is taller, so you could
stash something (a fleece jacket? a Nalgene bottle?) under the equipment.
Outside mesh pockets hold sunglass case, cell phone, Rodia paper pads,
lenses briefly if necessary.... Mtnsmth packs are usually available at every
backcountry store, including REI.

Christopher 'Bokeh' Quinn
a little more on-topic than my Filson post
maybe

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr> ([Leica] LUG: waste bag)
Reply from "Harry Levin" <captnharry@home.com> (Re: [Leica] LUG: waist bag)