Subject: Re: [Leica] re: should i buy a noctilux?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:38:18 -0500

> It seems to me that it is boiling down to talent--something I am unlikely to
> acquire through any amount of practice.  However, I'll try to implement the
> techniques you suggest and see if I can do better.  One of the greatest
> disadvantages to using my M6 for street photography is that I often cannot
focus
> and set exposure quickly enough to capture a shot.  It is true that I probably
> worry too much about exact focus (at f/11 being an inch off isn't going to
> change anything, after all) and perhaps also about exposure (I scarcely need
> 1/3-stop accuracy for Tri-X), but the habit is hard to break.

Yes, I think Stephen has an unusually good eye and reflects for street
photography. One thing that I have recently found out after buying an M6TTL
and using it's meter, is I find for SP the TTL meter to be a major
distraction when i am trying to shoot fast (which you pretty much have to do
for SP). To focus and then have to futz around with that TTL meter is to
much lost time. So i have gone back to my meterless M2/M3 and using a
handmeter. With getting a hand meter reading you get your setting then
nothing much is really going to change light wise, if the sun comes out from
behind a cloud in about 10 seconds you can get another reading and adjust.
With B&W you get at least a one stop exposure latitude.

sl