Subject: Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: "ray tai" <jeslam88@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:40:11

Simon,

I usually use the Noctilux indoors for portraits of my children by window
light and with 100 ASA film I can shoot at f/1 or f/1.2 at 1/125 sec or
there abouts.  Under these situations I don't notice so much the vignetting
since the background is at least a few stops below the foreground.  I used
the Noctilux for scenics wide open for the first time last month in China at
the inner court yard of this lovely temple with defused natural lighting.
It is the kind of place with really old architecture and monks in golden
robes floating around.  I was using Kodachrome 64 and in some areas I was
metering f/1 at 1/60.  By daytime lighting I don't mean high noon lighting!
If I had Provia F400 I could have used the Tri-Elmar but since I had the
Noct with me I wanted to use f/1 when the lighting really didn't call for
it, I guess!  What I got was a bright center with a 3 stop (?) drop at the
corners.  It was just my inexperience with this lens with this film under
these conditions.  Next time I can either composed the shot with this
characteristic in mind or just use a smaller aperture.  I did use the
Noctilux a lot that day at f/1.4 and was very impressed with the results.
In the end I suppose I don't really *need* the Noctilux, rather just faster
film.

Regards,
Ray